Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Yes, Jesus loves me...

Just before midnight on New Year's Eve, Jesus told me He loved me in the most unexpected way. We were over at some of our good friend's house and I was making some brownies. (I thought I was being SO helpful.) I was unable to pull apart the brownie mix bag so I searched around the kitchen for some scissors. What I did not notice was that Jesus (or a statue of Him rather) was standing dangerously close to the butcher block that held the scissors. Upon returning the scissors back into the block something terrible happened... I accidentally knocked two of Jesus' fingers off...all of a sudden I went into complete hysterics. Doubled over shaking from laughter (mostly due to complete humiliation and embarrassment), I desperately tried to compose myself in order to break the terrible news (that I found so terribly funny) to my friend Ann. Before I had a chance to tell her she "caught me" laughing and asked me what was going on. I said "umm I'm laughing, but I should be crying"and then I just said as clearly as possible through my laughter "Jesus just lost a finger!". (Which of course was unfortunately followed by another eruption of violent laughter.) I then proceeded to bring the statue into the room where Ann and our husbands were. Thankfully, everyone laughed as we noticed that Jesus was now giving the sign for "I love you". (see photo) What can I say? Jesus loves me... Also, thankfully, let it be known...people with Jesus figurines are very forgiving. I think Ann still loves me. After all, I saved His fingers in a Ziploc for her and apologized profusely.
The last time I remember being that out of control with nervous laughter was a year or so ago when I was teaching a group of kids (AND their PARENTS) about the beggar at Gate Beautiful. I accidentally called the beggar "the booger"...in the microphone on stage.

*Read Ann's blog (which includes a recount of this story from her perspective): http://www.atlantamama.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

AtlantaMama said...

I think I should note that we did not create this story JUST so we could BLOG about it!! Who needs to create stories when Ruth Allen and Caroline are around... real life is more fun! = ) (LOVE YALL)

Writeaway said...

Hey RA! I lived with you in Guatemala for 10 days, so nothing surprises me! HA! And yet it was your mother who kept getting into trouble! That was the "funnest trip!"

By the way, we are so grateful for your friendship to B&A. Thanks for being there for them Wed. night when B got news of his company closing...