Saturday, February 9, 2008

"a new post"

Butthole ...such a nasty little word, but not so much to me. In fact, that little word is the motivation behind this post. My brother left me a comment a few days ago.... "Write a new blog you butthole". Before you get offended let me say that "butthole" has really become a term of endearment that is often exchanged between the two of us. It's amazing, every time I hear the word uttered I am quickly taken back to my childhood...
1. I taught my brother "butthole" as soon as he could say words with two syllables
2. Butthole was one of the first words he learned to spell, seriously (dog, cat, b-u-t-t-h-o-l-e)
3. Butthole was quickly forbidden by my mama
4. If we were caught saying the forbidden word we would lie and swear we had just said "button-hole".
5. Once I called Patrick a butthole if front of the wonderful Debbie Sutton. (I was actually afraid of her as a child and I had to call and apologize. It was traumatizing.)
6. My mom did not buy the button-hole story that time.

In other news...

1.Bo and I are expecting our second baby. There will be two under two. But only for about 3 months. It was a surprise, but ready or not... I am due end of September - early Octoberish.

2. I watered my plants with gatorade the other night. Not on purpose. What will happen?

3. Caroline snorts when she gets excited, especially when you put food in front of her that she likes. I hope she out grows it..it's not very attractive, but it sure is hilarious.

4. Went to Publix yesterday...(do you remember how warm it was? We went to the park earlier that day) Caroline did not wear shoes and I was harassed again by an old lady 2 "people" behind me in the line. She was shouting across two people's worth of personal space "where are her shoes?" I ignored it at first and then the cashier pointed out that the old lady was talking to me.

5. Caroline is hateful to me when I am on the computer. I have a laptop and she tries to close it on my fingers. She gets so jealous of it....she looks at it and says "bye, bye". She even pulled one of the keys off the keyboard the other day. It was the { and [ key. Now it sticks up funny, but I don't use that one often.




13 comments:

Patrick Cantrell said...

I can fix that key for you. So I am really glad you decided to post this post. So many people read your blog that when you write one that has anything to do with me I get excited. Kind of excited in the way that Riverstone church might get excited when Mac Powell gives us all a shout out at a concert. It's like you're a celebrity.

ManUtd17 said...

You should've called that old lady at Publix a butthole.

Katie said...

My brother and I used to tell each other that we were going to rip the other's butthole out. I'm not sure that's possible, but we thought it was funny. My mom didn't.

IMABIGDAWG said...

It was wonderful to see you today and your little one is precious. You have grown to be one classy lady from the quite smart little seventh grader I once knew.

Sorry about the old hag at Publix. My kids never wore shoes either but I'm bigger than you and folks keep their mouths shut around me.

I had a wonderful experience at church today. It was something I needed in the worst way and you were a part of it. I'll share it if you have time next week.

Take care,
Meaders

Camille said...

apparently everyone else knows your news of expecting again but oh my gosh! I am blown away! Congratulations! I am calling you tomorrow to get the scoop. And seriously why do you attract so much unsolicited advice? Crazy!

carolineb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chip B said...

Funny how blogs reveal sides of folks that you never realized. Not that I'm talking about your posterior ... more your humor and wit!

You've been tagged for 10 random thoughts when you get a chance. Looking forward to them.

http://chipsup.blogspot.com/2008/02/ive-been-hit.html

AtlantaMama said...

My Aunt Patty would have washed your mouth out with IVORY soap... and she most likely would not have bought the "button-hole" story either, although I think it's kinda cute. Funny that you were worried about Mrs Debbie like that. And YAY for Baby-on-the-way!!! We are excited!

AtlantaMama said...

I would also like to comment on your comments...
1.) YES to what manutd17 said
2.) To Katie, ouch, that hurts to read
3.) CarolineB's brother... now that is just over the top

Lora said...

hi ruth allen! i found your blog today and am so happy to see that you and bo are doing so well. congratulations on your pregnancy! you are a very talented writer - so funny! have a blessed day! lora rogers

The Shepards said...

butthole = OK
What's not OK is that the little girl down the street has a child before I do. NOT OK.

Nor is it OK that the FCA superchick from McEachern has a kid.

I'm a little freaked out.

AmyFritch said...

Butthole = not allowed in the Fritch home. 'We don't say that'

Button-hole - nice cover story

Ditto Billy P. I might have said butthole right over that 2 people's worth of personal space.

You are pregnant?!?!? You will LOVE having them close together!!

You are freakishly hilarious. Patrick's right - you're a superstar.

Writeaway said...

RA - Hilarious post. Just to tell you the difference in your generation and mine (although I don't like to be reminded of the AGE difference), my sister and I had to put a quarter in a money jar every time we said "shut up". THAT was a bad word.

I must tell you that Hilda hates the word "butt" more than anything (much to the delight of her children who like to torture her by saying it). The guys asked her if she'd rather we say a** and she said YES! HA!!!

Now I am thinking that perhaps you have the answer for Hilda... we won't say "BUTT" any more. We'll say "butthole". Different word. Completely.