Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Easter Sunday Rice

Side note #1
Bo thinks you should just write Easter (vs. Easter Sunday), cause it is always on a Sunday...duh.....

Side note #2
I am listening to Caroline SCREAM. Bo is trying to put her to sleep without a bottle. (It has come time for her to only have 3 servings of milk a day and she is supposed to drink them out of a sippie cup. (You know, a big-girl cup.) Can you say trauma?....(for EVERYONE involved) first she gets cut off from nursing...her favorite activity, and now...no bottles at bedtime. Glad we have a few more months before the next baby gets here. I think that would send her over the edge right now.

Side note #3
At my house, beef Stroganoff (spelling?) goes with rice. Not noodles.

There are things that I just cannot do...like make rice. I burn it or it tastes like it has never been cooked, or it is so mushy you cannot make out the individual grains. It is pitiful.. Bo has had to come to my rescue for the past 3.25 years and make rice for me, and EVERYTIME I do try to make it, we throw my pot away and Bo makes a new one. About a year ago, I saw the commercial about the precooked bags of rice that you only have to microwave...I was ecstatic. I bought a bag the next time I was at the grocery and figured my problems were solved. Nope. Have you ever eaten plastic? Nasty. Then I bought a bag of Jasmine rice. I figured...this is the kind the Asian people make and eat everyday....it can't be hard if people make it everyday....WRONG. The first step in the directions were: Wash rice in several changes of water until water runs clear. (I guess it's dirty when you buy it...almost as bad as plastic, but I'm not scared of a little dirt) Then the directions proceeded to get so confusing that even Bo was irritated. Then my mama told me to buy the Success boil in bag rice. Good idea, how hard can that stuff be to make? (I forgot it several grocery trips in a row and in the mean time we ate the dirty stuff. Finally, I remembered to buy it and I must admit I was excited about my purchase.) After 2 attempts at Success rice, both in which Bo had to intervene I was just beside myself. I was so confused that I started thinking I was insane. Then, last night on Easter, I discovered my problem...I was following the directions. Never again will I read and follow directions for rice. Non-direction #1: You just have to eyeball it, if you measure it, your in trouble. #2 : Then you watch it like a hawk and you taste it every few seconds and take it off the eye as soon as it is ready. Jesus conquered death today (two thousand years ago), I conquered rice making. Happy Easter it was. Hope yours was as well.

11 comments:

Writeaway said...

You will never starve now.... no matter how poor you are, you can afford rice and it literally puffs up and fills your stomach. So glad you conquered the cooking part because it's yucky raw.

Sutton said...

haha. so the asian rice thing: I've been told how to make it, and the whole "rinsing the rice thing" is supposedly done AFTER you cook the rice. Rinsing it several times until the water runs clear causes the rice to become sticky... hence Sticky Rice, the stuff so commonly eaten with chopsticks or sushi. If you nix the rinsing ordeal, it's just the same as regular white rice.

By the way, I love you!

AtlantaMama said...

So... once again, I think we are really sisters. I cannot cook RICE either. In a college attempt to cook real rice (which takes three forevers by the way) I almost burned the pot so badly we needed to toss it... Almost! It was aweful, mushy on the top and black on the bottom! Yuck. I now ONLY buy the instant 5 minute rice. You bring the water to a boil, add the rice, close the lid, and remove it from the eye for about 5 minutes and it's perfect everytime. I just can't do the other stuff.

Also, I did not know you were getting Caroline off of bottle feeding... bless your heart. This is a transition!!

MISS YOU!

Micah and Shireen said...

First of all, I hope the bottle transition goes well. I am sure that is hard. Second, I am terrible at rice as well!!! Micah ALWAYS makes our rice. You would think since I am Persian and my family eats rice with EVERY meal, I would have learned how to make great rice...but no. So I leave that duty up to Micah and I am okay with that.
Also, not too long ago, my parents bought us a rice cooker...we have never made a bad batch since. The thing is amazing. It might be worth looking into if you make rice alot. Great post!!!

Amy said...

Your blogs make me laugh so hard out loud that I have to shut the door b/c my computer/office is right next to my boy's room and they are ASLEEP and I am laughing too loudly! Rice is hard - I'll give you that one. You are precious.

Patrick Cantrell said...

For some reason I felt like I had already commented on this... oh well. So yeah, anyways, do you own a rice cooker???

Ruth Allen Bryant said...

Patrick:
Yes, I own a rice cooker...his name is Bo.

Patrick Cantrell said...

I didn't realize you and Bo had that type of relationship... a little matriarchal if you ask me... Anyways, now I know what to buy you for your birthday.

Patrick Cantrell said...

seriously... I mean, seriously? Write something for the month of april at least...

margaretdurham said...

you really need to write a new post...i have no clue what is going on in your life and i want funny stories...-meg

margaretdurham said...

ps...that baby counter thing is sweet. good call